Saturday, December 31, 2011

New Year's preparations...

It's the last day of 2011...time to get ready for the traditional Quilt Studio Clean-Up for the New Year!
This time I decided the "divide & conquer" routine is best, so I will look at the areas in my studio and choose one to work on first. You might think a room this small doesn't have areas, but it definitely does!
A place for everything...?
This is by the door, but actually to the left as you walk (squeeze) in. Really, the ironing has to go...that's a big mental road block in a studio! And how can I open the nice, labelled boxes when small items have used the lids as a landing spot?
Why the door doesn't open completely
Why, yes...this whole mess does collapse under the force of gravity upon occasion! And what you can't see on the floor is a stack (there's a box under it somewhere) for things to get rid of....one may ask why they are still there!
Ah...a new sewing machine!
Here's a bit of a breather...except for the true Neat-Niks, but they've already clicked away to another blog by now, if their hands weren't shaking too much.
YOU CAN SEE THE FLOOR!
But the trash basket is full. At least that's easy to fix.

Really...this is a cutting table!
This is to my back when I'm sewing. It's a very good example of how any horizontal space collects stuff.The plastic box contains a lot of decorative threads, and it has a place to be put away in, too!
I'm sure if you like TV shows such as "American Pickers" and "Storage Wars" you are really enjoying this post...and you're wondering what all is on those shelves in the background.

This is:
The WOW factor
I know the vinyl I need for the Betsy Goldsmith applique class is in here somewhere...down on the lower left is the home of the Infamous Over-flowing Scrap Basket, my lecture prop. 
But the place that really needs clearing out the most has to be here:
Total confusion...or is it?
It's a mess, but I do know what's in there! It's the magnet spot for all UFOs and other things that need to be set aside temporarily...like maybe for 5 years or so!
This is the ideal place to start the clean-up, as these items are beginning to block the way to my sewing machine.
But no matter how cluttered it gets, I will never utter the words "I can't get in there". That is a bad sign, friends...it means you are not able to get to your creative work, and that's the beginning of the end!

If you ever reach that point, let me know and I will come over to help you shovel a path to your sewing machine. Do not, under any circumstances, allow yourself to be cut off from sewing, gluing or whatever it is you love to do. Even the tiniest bit of creative action keeps your soul alive.


OK, I'm ready now to do battle with my PackRat side. Like battling the Dark Side, it's never-ending...but it is a lot more fun and colorful!

.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Isn't amazing how fast our sanctuary can get cluttered!! You are not alone. Good luck with the organizing. I am right behind you as I just walked out of my room saying the s a m e t h i n g. !!! 2012 is my year to organize my whole house, starting in my sewing room and closets. Lois