Monday, March 3, 2008

Greetings from the Campbell Folk School!

Not only am I at the John C. Campbell Folk School, I am blogging!

This is Keith House, the community center for the school. If you could look through the window to the right of the door in the center, you might see me here in the library (piggy-backing on the WIFI from the school's office!).
This is where everyone gathers in the big community room for Morningsong before breakfast, and evening programs with music and dancing.
This is also where you will find the coffee room, an important stop throughout the day!





The Folk School has a collection of buildings for the variety of class studios and housing for students. On the left is Davidson Hall, named for Jan Davidson the director. It has studios for music and cooking, plus student rooms upstairs. Some of the buildings are old and have been updated for modern use, and several are new. The campus is about 1/4 mile in length along both sides of a hilly country road.
The building somewhat hidden by the trees is the dining hall, home of three huge well-cooked meals per day! It's a good thing I have to walk so far between my room, the dining hall, and the studio for my class.


I'm staying here upstairs at Rockhouse.
It has a nice small living room area with a community 'fridge, and five rooms (2 up, 3 down). My room has twin beds, a rocking chair, chest of drawers, closet, and a small bath with shower.
Just big enough for me & my lover (OK, we've been married for 34 years, but who's counting?)

The Fiber Arts Studio, my home away from home!
Quilting is in the studio to the right, and weaving is through the double doors. That's where my embroidery class is meeting.

I am so happy to be able to share this you. It's a real experiment for me!
Watch tomorrow for more pictures around the campus, a look at some actual embroidery, and stories about Folk School life.


No comments: