Thursday, November 29, 2007

Close Encounters with UFO's

No, I wasn't abducted by aliens!
I have just been away teaching and busy with holiday happenings.
But I am still working away at my huge stash of UFO's...those UnFinished
Objects. How they seem to multiply!

I got thinking about other reasons these things are called UFO's. The one I am working on today is a great qualifier: it seems to have come from Light Years away!
The fabrics are are quite old now (yet not nearly "vintage"!) and have a grey shading to them. At some point I used this quilted wall hanging for a demo, as it had some of the edges trimmed and binding applied, but not finished, on only one side!
Oh, yes, I remember that binding. But I'll be darned if I can find where the rest of it might be. Not even in my big plastic box of bindings that I have thoughtfully made and are awaiting the day their own UFO's come home to land.

This is, by the way, a piece that has four snowmen with top hats and scarves (a Debbie Mumm design, if I recall...yes, this thing is very old!). Now it has a new black & white binding....too bad it does not match the black & white border it was supposed to! Well, I guess UFO's are full of surprises!

All it needs now are some black button eyes. Then it can find a home in one of the many boxes I'll be mailing across the country soon.
That's another reason why they're called UFO's...they will travel far, far away to shock and amaze people who are not expecting them, and will probably leave those people speechless!

No comments: